Dental Hygienists are trained to assess our oral health, especially our gums. Not only are they skilled at removal of calculus and plaque that cause gum disease, but they can assist you in maintaining healthy gums. Every year more evidence comes to light on the role of gum disease with our general health. Heart disease, respiratory problems, diabetes, pre-term and under weight babies are all linked to gum disease. More than half the population over 18 years of age is affected by gum disease.
Regular visits to your Hygienist will help you take control of your health. Our long term aim is for you to be able to reduce the number of visits to your Dentist because of the improved health of your mouth, with the help of your Hygienist.
Our Hygienist will:
- Assess the health of your gums
- Help you eliminate Bad Breath
- Remove the plaque and calculus that builds up around your teeth.
- Advise you on how to improve your home care, she may recommend some dental products to help you.
- Review and monitor deep gum pockets
- Arrange referral to a Periodontist (gum specialist) if necessary
- Arrange a referral to your Dentist if she feels you need any dental treatment
- Give you Local Anesthetics (numbing) if needed for pain
- Place temporary fillings if you have a broken tooth
- Take impressions and photos required for bleaching, mouthguards or orthodontic work
- Teeth whitening - "zoom" home whitening system
Our Hygienists are Loua Time & Ella Kimmel. Jacquie Clements (who has now returned from maternity leave) is now based part-time in our Kapiti surgery.
Loua Time - completed a 2 year Diploma of Dental Hygiene course at Otago University in 2000. She joined our team in 2003.
Ella Kimmel - is the newest hygienist to join our team. She has come all the way from Toronto in Canada where she did her hygienist degree. She has been in dentistry for around 6 years. Ella works at our Porirua practice on a Wednesday and at our Kapiti practice on a Tuesday.
Jacquie Clements - first worked for us as a chair side assistant for around 6 years. She then went on to do her hygiene therapy degree in Auckland & has come back to join the team once again.
To make an appointment:
Please telephone Champion Dental Centre on 04 237 9081 or the Kapiti Dental Centre on 04 298 6754.
NOTE: Making appointments via email is very difficult and time consuming so please do telephone us.