Information on Dental Implants
Although we do not offer a full dental implant service (from start to finish), our dentists Dr Anne Hanrahan and Dr Evonne Cheng at Champion Dental in Porirua, can offer implant restorations of existing implants and also advise on implants themselves.
What are Implants?
A Dental implant is a small titanium screw that is placed (implanted) in the jawbone. It can be used to either replace a single missing tooth, provide an abutment (anchor or retainer) to replace several missing teeth, or be used as a retainer to provide added retention to a removable dental appliance - such as a full denture. If you are missing all of your teeth, it is possible to have maxillary (upper) and mandibular (lower) fixed replacements, (the replacements do not come out) these placements are used to hold a denture in place.
Dental implants are a proven restorative option with a long clinical history. Dental implants preserve the integrity of the facial structure and reduce the inconvenience associated with tooth loss.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants are one of the best options for replacing missing teeth. Some of the many benefits are:
- Improved Appearance - Dental implants can slow or stop the jaw bone from shrinkage after tooth loss. Dental implants look as natural as your own teeth.
- Protect Your Remaining Teeth - Dental implants can be more suitable than a bridge for the replacement of one or more adjacent teeth. With conventional bridgework, the teeth either side of the surrounding missing teeth must be ground down. Dental implants often eliminate the need to modify these teeth, resulting in a conservative, yet esthetic restoration.
- Improved Comfort - Dental implants can eliminate the pain and discomfort of removable full or partial dentures.
Advantages and Disadvantages:
Not everyone is an idea candidate for a successful implant. There must be adequate bone in the jaw to support an implant(s) along with healthy gum tissue free of any periodontal disease.
Advantages of Dental Implants
- Implant restorations are the closest thing to your own teeth.
- Placement of implants preserves the bone.
- Implants can not decay.
- Dental implants have been placed by professionals for over 30 years now..
Disadvantages of Dental Implants
- Implants are a slow process, so if you are in a hurry they are not the answer.
- Bone grafts are sometimes needed.
- Time has to be allowed for healing, between each stage.
- The implant process takes many months before being fully completed.
Before and After Implants
If you are interested in Dental Implants please contact us for more information.